Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Napa Weekend - Part 1 of 3

I had the absolute pleasure of attending the most amazing food, wine and music event this past weekend, Live In The Vinyard in Napa, CA.  I had the greatest time, all the events were unforgettable and I can't imagine a more perfect way to see Napa for the first time.  As part of the "Live In The Vineyard" experience, I had a chance to see some wonderful chefs and taste their delicious food! 

The first event was held at Provanence Vinyards and James Beard Award Winning Chef, Joey Altman provided the appetizers as well as a wonderful cooking demo.

 
Joey working the crowd....let me tell you, he is captivating, very informative and also quite adorable. 
I loved listening to him, he had some great tips.  One of which was "Walk More, Eat Better"; this was his solution to not skimping on your ingredients - save your gas money for the quality ingredients! 


Back to the wine!  I started with a delicious 2012 Malbec Rose from Provenance Vineyards, it was refreshing and delicious.  I was so happy to have a rose in Napa!  It also paired perfectly with the grilled oysters.

 
Fried butternut squash ravioli.....no way.....yes way!!! Brilliant!
 
 
Perfectly cooked duck breast on a sweet potato chip.
 
 
Short rib and tomato in a pastry shell.  Buttery and savory, a fantastic combo.
 
 
Mushroom Crostini with local cheese - a classic that never lets you down.
 
 
Short rib mini burger was also delish!  And the bun was soft and slightly warm. 
 
I was so impressed with how everything came out of the kitchen, its not easy to deliver hot and well cooked food for a group but Joey and the team were such professionals, they really pulled it off.
 
I did also had the opportunity to try Provenance's 2010 Hewitt Double Plus, a gorgeous red wine that just danced on your tongue.  This was really an outstanding wine, hands down one of my favorites but it also has a $150 price tag!  I got to speak with the very humble winemaker, Chris Cooney, a man very passionate about his grapes!  He is very down to earth which I think makes the winery itself feel very inviting.
 
 
 
Provenance also played host to a musical performance from Kodaline in their barrel room.  What a treat!  Provenance cleared out a whole section of barrels for the stage and seating area.  Kodaline was awesome, they are an Irish band with an incredible sound and thoughtful lyrics.
 
If you ever have the chance to go to Napa, make sure you hit Provenance Vineyards! 
And check out Kodaline, "All I Want" and "Way Back When" are two of my favorites.
 
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment