Sunday, January 5, 2014

LA Edition: Toscanova

While out in California, I had dinner with some friends at Toscanova in Calabasas. To my surprise and excitement, we learned that every Monday they have Happy Hour ALL NIGHT at the bar so we grabbed a bar table and started ordering plates and plates of yummy food.
 
We began with the fried calamari which came with a cocktail sauce (needed more horseradish) and a tartare sauce.  Pretty basic.
 

 
 
The mixed olives were phenomenal, I know its simple but they had all the best varieties!
 
 
 
 
I usually never eat pizza in LA  (whats the point) but we got a Margarita which wasn't pretty but gave us some warm cheesiness we needed.
 
 

 
 
The octopus salad with potatoes and arugula was lovely, a bit too much arugula as it overpowered those delicious bits of the octopus.
 



 
 
Of course, you HAVE to order truffle fries when they are on the menu!  These did not disappoint!
 
 
 
 
The meatballs were also delish.
 
 

 
Now for the desserts at Toscanova which really shine......
 
 
This Tiramisu was to die for.  Each component was perfect and married together beautifully.  A nice touch was the chocolate chips; I only know one other place that had chocolate chips in their Tiramisu and I don't know why this doesn't become a trend, it adds so much to the dish.


 
 
We also had the seasonal fruit tart which, on this day, was raspberry.  I loved that this wasn't too sweet, the fruit really stood out, and was only complemented by the delicate cream and a perfect graham cracker like shell.


 
 
 
Toscanova has a great Happy Hour but I would love to go back and try their full menu, they do a great job.  P.S. service at the bar was pretty outstanding.
 

Toscanova
Suite A, 4799 Commons Way, Calabasas, CA 91302
(818) 225-0499

1 comment:

  1. You are really missing out if you haven't tried pizza in LA. We have some of the best in the country! Mozza, Joe's, 800 Degrees, Milo & Olive, Stella Rosa, Gjelina, Olio, Sotto. Eh, forgettaboutit, as they say in NY!

    ReplyDelete