Last weekend I had dinner at SD26, located at the north side of Madison Square Park. I had a special five course tasting menu that they put together that evening and it was quite an experience.
The restaurant itself is beautiful, very modern and stylish but felt warm and inviting. When we sat down they already had rosemary breadsticks on the table. I haven't met a breadstick I haven't liked but these were exceptional with little pieces of rosemary, the fact that they were waiting at the table for me, bonus!
We ordered a bottle of red wine and presented with a gorgeous bread basket; I went with the walnut bread and foccacia. The foccacia was light and doughy, not greasy. Red wine and three bread options, this is a great way to start a Saturday night!
The chef brought out a lovely and very large "amuse-bouche". Two fish dishes that featured a hint of orange: fried fish on orange marmalade on the left and tuna carpaccio with citrus on the right.
We were then served with what they said was one of their signature dishes, a ricotta ravioli with soft egg on top. Quite delicious, the ricotta was absolutely heavenly but it overpowered the egg and that delicious runny yolk was lost in the dish.
Then came the pasta, this was my favorite dish of the night. A linguine with clam sauce, the pasta was perfectly cooked, soft and delicate but with a bite to it. It was elegant and simple and just wonderful.
We then moved on to fish, scallops with green cauliflower puree with pistachio. This was a delightful dish and a wonderful use of the local produce!
For our next course, I had the venison. It came with simply grilled leeks and onions but the meat really stood out, the star of the dish.
For dessert we had two options, a fantastic Tiramisu that was to die for, it was mousse-like which I loved.
And gorgeous Lady Fingers surround a pastry cream and berries.
To top us off, we ended the meal with had a collection of cookies and truffles, completely divine. Restaurant owners take note, your patrons LOVE this stuff, do it more often :)
SD26
19 E 26th St, New York, NY 10010http://www.sd26ny.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment