One of my favorite types of food is Greek food and while I was in Washington D.C. I stopped into Jose Andres' Zaytinya, and I am sure glad I did!!!! Zaytinya is influenced by the cuisine of Greece, Turkey and Lebanon and the plates are all served tapas style.
Now, I am pretty psyched about getting to eat Greek food for dinner but that doesn't mean I will like any old Greek place (well actually I will) but this was truly very good and a fun place for a group or for a date to share plates and try a few options.
We started with the spreads: Hommus, Baba Ghannoughe (pictured), and their AMAZING Htipiti - I actually wasn't going to order it but this was the best red pepper spread I have ever had so do try it. Oh...and their pita, it comes out warm.
I ordered the grilled octopus (I know, predictable!) with capers and onion and a split pea puree.
As a side, I LOVED the brussel sprouts, which came with coriander seeds, barberries (Iranian cranberries) and garlic yogurt. The combination of the crunchy brussel sprouts, sweet berries, and the rich yogurt was fantastic.
Typically I never order desserts at a Greek restaurants because they usually have the same three things: a honey cake, baklava, or Greek yogurt. However, Zaytinya has paid special attention to developing the dessert menu and it was quite diverse and absolutely delicious. The Galatopita was like a raspberry shortcake with phyllo dough and custard which was so light it tasted like a decadent whipped cream! So fabulous!!
The Turkish Delight with walnut ice cream, yogurt mousse, a honey gelee, orange caramel sauce and toasted pine nuts. So perfectly composed it was, as its namesake, a true delight!
Grab some friends - so you can order a ton of plates to taste - and you are sure to have a fantastic dinner at Zaytinya; I can't wait to go back!
Zaytinya
701 9th St, NW, Washington, D.C.
http://www.zaytinya.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment